What are HOMOPHONES?
Today we will learn the most common homophones in English.
Know means to have information about something.
- I need to know your address.
No; I guess everyone knows but it is a negative reply.
- No, I don’t wanna know the truth.
Dam is a barrier to stop the water from flowing, usually to produce electricity.
- The dam was full of water.
Damn is a swear word to show anger or disappointment.
- Oh damn! I forgot my wallet at home!
Ad- add /æd/
Ad is the short form of advertisement which means a notice telling people about a product or service.
- You should pay for YouTube not to see ads.
Add means to put something more to increase the amount.
- Add some pepper to your soup.
Ate is the past form of the verb eat which means to put food into your mouth and you know the rest.
- I ate all the pizza.
Eight is the number 8.
- It’s 8 o’clock.
Bare means not covered by any clothes, naked
- I like to walk around in bare feet.
Bear has two important meaning. First one is to deal with something unpleasant something not nice, to manage a problem.
- I couldn’t bear the pain anymore so I went to hospital.
The other meaning is the animal which is wild and big and dangerous.
- Winnie-the-pooh is a fictional bear.
Cent is a coin used for dollar or euro.
- The price of diesel was increased by 25 cents per litre.
Scent means nice smell
- The scent of my perfume is amazing.
Finally sent is the past form of the verb send which means make something go.
- I sent the package by airmail.
Cheap means low price.
- Pegasus usually offers cheap flights.
Cheep is to make a short, high squeaky sound by birds.
- Sparrows are cheeping all around.
Dear is a word we can use at the beginning of a letter before the name of the person.
- Dear Mr. Jones
It also means the loved oned.
- She is one of my dearest friend.
Deer is a beautiful animal with long legs and can run fast.
- Hunting deer has some strict rules.
Die means stop living.
- A lot of people died due to the corona virus in 2020.
Dye is to change the color of something.
- I dyed my hair brown.
Fair means something accepable.
- The punishment wasn’t fair to me.
Fare is the money that you pay to travel by bus, plane, taxi, etc.
- Students travel in the city at half fare.